Taking care of the largest organ of the body-the skin is a major challenge in case of a hospitalized patient, particularly critically ill patients and nurses continue to meet this target on daily basis.
At the end of the course the learner would be able to:
• Understand basic concepts of pressure injury
• Accurately stage pressure injury
• Steps to prevent development of pressure injury
• Treatment of pressure injury
Instructor: Ms. DeeptiDamodaran, Senior Nurse Educator, Bodhi Health Education
Facility: Maharishi Markandeshwar University (MMU), Mullana, Ambala
Definition: Pressure injury is a localized damage to the skin and/or underlying soft tissue usually over a bony prominence or related to a medical or other device. The injury can present as intact skin or an open ulcer and may be painful.
• To prevent skin excoriation due to dependent position of patient
• To relieve pressure on bony prominence
• To maintain skin integrity
Introduction to Pressure Injury and Staging
This part of the module describes the basic concepts related to pressure injury, etiology and staging of pressure injury.
Therapeutic Back Care
This part of the modules demonstrates the method of performing skin care/therapeutic back care in preventing development of pressure injury.
Management of pressure ulcer (Wound Care)
This part of the module demonstrates the purpose and method of performing wound care/wound dressing in the patient with pressure injury.